The Alpharetta Colored Methodist Church was organized in 1867, after the Civil War, as part of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The first known location was 109 Cumming Street, Alpharetta, Georgia. In 1939, the Methodist Protestant, Methodist Episcopal and the Methodist Episcopal Church South united to form the Methodist Church. Regardless of geographical location, the Colored Methodists were grouped into a single segregated Central Conference. Between 1956 and 1966, an effort began to merge black churches from the Central Jurisdiction into the General Conference.
In 1963, ground was broken for the church’s prior Kimball Bridge Road location and discussion began concerning changing the name of the church. By 1967, the church was renamed St. James United Methodist Church, in honor of Trustee James Rucker. On September 8, 1968, the new church facility was commemorated with a ribbon cutting ceremony. In that same year, the church became part of the Southeastern Jurisdiction of the United Methodist Church. In 1997, because of continued growth of the North Fulton area, St. James launched the Vision 2000 campaign.
Beginning in 1999, St. James experienced explosive growth in membership. Today, under the leadership of the Senior Pastor, Rev. Dr. Michael T. McQueen, St. James remains one of the fastest growing church congregations in Alpharetta. Located at 3000 Webb Bridge Road since 2004, the membership at St. James has grown to over 2000 members. The church currently has more than 30 ministries that free the oppressed, equip the masses and exalt Jesus Christ. The church has two worship services, two corporate Bible studies, and weekly concentrated areas of study for men, women, youth, children, seniors, singles and married couples. We give God the glory for what He has done in over 140 years in the life of the St. James family. Great is His faithfulness!